Our Top 21 Most Favorite Texas & Red Dirt Singles of ’16
It’s November! That means for the most part, we’ve heard all the radio singles that will be released this year — I mean they’ll be a few more, but I’ll be on vacation when those come out. Here they are, our Favorite Texas and Red Dirt Singles of ’16.
First off, several songs that made our list at the midpoint of 2016 have made it through to the end of the year list. To recap, our list from June:
11. Wade Bowen and Randy Rogers “Till it Does,” 10. Flatland Cavalry “One I Want,” 9. Dalton Domino “Find Us Alone,” 8. Sunny Sweeney and Brennen Leigh “But You Like Country Music,” 7. Josh Ward “Whiskey and Whitley,” 6. Kaitlin Butts “Wild Rose,” 5. Cody Jinks “Cast No Stones,” 4. Bart Crow “Dear Music,” 3. Shane Smith and the Saints “All I See is You,” 2. Turnpike Troubadours “Mercury,” 1. Cody Canada and the Departed “All Nighter.”
Now, onto the end-of-year list.
It was only after careful deliberation we settled on our criteria for this list, we decided it shall be comprised of songs or singles that have been played, at least once, on Radio Texas, LIVE! since December of ’15. And while we tried to focus more on actual radio singles, there is an exception or two to that.
Furthermore, chart position had little (absolutely nothing) to do with our list — and a couple of the songs that made our list actually never even made it into our regular rotation. Why? Well, we just don’t have the room to break every awesome new song and artist, as much as we love to do it. After all we have a mere five hours to fill each week. Five hours to play songs by artists that people more easily recognize, to keep them tuning in. All the while playing artists that are underplayed on radio already.
Let’s be honest Randy Rogers Band, Texas Music’s biggest band, is so overlooked by radio, it’s a crime. Concessions must be made.
So here they are, in an order that is more aesthetically pleasing than anything else; that is to say, they’re all great songs, but numbers look nice.
21. Mike Ryan “New Hometown”
20. William Clark Green “Old Fashioned”
19. Wade Bowen and Randy Rogers “Till it Does”
18. Charlie Stout “I See Stars”
17. Troy Cartwright “Busted”
16. Mike and the Moonpies “Mockingbird”
15. Josh Ward “Broken Heart”